Choosing Your Destination Wedding Dress
It's no surprise that destination and beach weddings are becoming more and more popular. The rising cost of formal settings, coupled with the natural beauty and romance of sand and surf, makes a mesmerizing beach a perfect place to exchange vows. But finding the perfect destination wedding dress can pose some challenges.
Choosing your wedding dress is probably one of the most important decisions you'll make outside the decision of the destination wedding location itself. You will probably have to give up the notion of a Cinderella dress. A beach wedding calls for a more casual look. With that in mind, here are some recommendations for you to keep in mind while shopping for destination wedding dress:
- DO remember the classic destination wedding dress is cool, casual, and relaxed, yet sexy and beautiful!!
- DO keep in mind a heavy elaborate gown will probably appear out of place on the beach, so a simpler design should be chosen.
- DO consider airy, lightweight fabrics, such as georgette, chiffon, crepe, organza, charmeuse, or even cotton (avoid silk, which can make you perspire).
- DO choose something wrinkle resistant for ease of traveling and packing. Try asking if you can hang your wedding dress up in the first class closet on your plane ride!!!
- DO consider the cut of your dress. A slip dress or other straight-line wedding dress will behave a lot better than an a-line or fuller skirt in windy weather.
- DO buy a strapless bathing suit if your destination wedding dress is strapless to avoid tan lines.
- DO choose a light and flowy wedding dress if you're planning on a "jump into the ocean together" photo shoot.
- DO choose a dress that complements your shape and allows you to walk without the fear of tripping, getting a heal caught, or having to carry your skirt.
- DO look your best when trying on your destination wedding dress. Even the best of beach dresses won't look quite right when your hair is a mess and you're wearing sweat socks. Do your hair, make-up, and bring your comfortable beach wedding sandals.
- DO shop with only one or two people. Bringing all six bridesmaids, your mother and soon to be mother in law, will only make matters confusing.
- DO remember you'll wear your dress for an average of 10 hours. You should be comfortable in it as well as beautiful.